Drake wins 2 awards
LOS ANGELES, Aug 28, (Agencies): Shawn Mendes dominated the 2018 iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards on Sunday night, performing twice and taking home the Artist of the Year, Best Pop Artist or Group, Fan Fave Artist, and Fan Fave Video awards. Fellow hometown hero Drake added two more MMVAs to his collection, winning Best Hip Hop Artist or Group and Best Director with Karena Evans for “Plan”.
“This is home,” Mendes said while holding the MMVA for artist of the year, according to the Toronto Star. “This means the absolute world to me.” He also clowned the crowd at a different point in the show by coming out wearing DJ Marshmello’s disguise.
Elsewhere, Ontario-bred DJs Loud Luxury claimed the Song of the Summer for “Body” (featuring Brando), while Ottawa’s Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine, featured on the first season of CTV’s “The Launch”, took home Best New Canadian Artist for their hit “Ain’t Easy”, while Alessia Cara locked down Video of the Year for her and Khalid’s collaboration on Logic’s song “1-800-273-8255”.
Other performers on the show included Halsey (who won the Artist for Change prize), Meghan Trainor, bulow, Kris Wu, The Beaches, 98 Degrees, and Anne-Marie with Marshmello, the latter of whom won the Best EDM/Dance Artist or Group prize), and Brett Kissel with Bebe Rexha.
The complete list of winners:
* iHeartRadio MMVA Artist for Change: Halsey
* Best Rock/Alternative Artist or Group: Imagine Dragons
* Best Pop Artist or Group: Shawn Mendes
* Best EDM/Dance Artist or Group: Marshmello
* Best Hip Hop Artist or Group: Drake
* Best Director: Drake – “Plan”, Director – Karena Evans
* Video of the Year: Logic ft Alessia Cara and Khalid – “1-800-273-8255”
* Single of the Year: Ed Sheeran – “Perfect”
* Artist of the Year: Shawn Mendes
* Song of the Summer Presented by Coca-Cola: Loud Luxury ft Brando – “Body”
* Best Collaboration: Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line – “Meant To Be”
* Best New Canadian Artist or Group: Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine
* Fan Fave Artist: Shawn Mendes
* Fan Fave Duo or Group: BTS
* Fan Fave Video: Shawn Mendes – “In My Blood”
* Fan Fave Single: Selena Gomez ft Marshmello – “Wolves”
* Fan Fave New Artist: Kris Wu
SOUTH BEND, Ind: Country star Garth Brooks has set a late October date for his University of Notre Dame show that will be the first-ever music concert at the school’s football stadium.
Brooks’ publicist announced Monday that the concert would be held Oct 20 at Notre Dame Stadium, rain or shine. Tickets go on sale Sept 14.
Brooks joined former Notre Dame football coach Lou Holtz at a Nashville, Tennessee, news conference in July to announce the planned concert. Brooks said the concert date would be scheduled once the Irish finalized their season schedule, and said that he can’t wait to introduce his fans to Notre Dame.
Brooks, who is known for hits such as “Friends in Low Places”, wrapped up a major three-year tour last year.