ZURICH, Nov 19, (AFP): World football body FIFA has joined the International Olympic Committee in threatening legal action against Kuwait over the government takeover of sporting bodies, according to a letter obtained by AFP.
The letter from FIFA secretary general Fatma Samoura also reaffirmed that Kuwait would be kept in international isolation as long as the Kuwait Football Association is run by government-named officials following the passing of a new sports law this year. The IOC and FIFA suspended Kuwait in October last year over government interference in sport. It is the second time in five years the Gulf state has been suspended.
The letter to the state-backed KFA head Fawaz Mubarak Al- Hasawi, owner of English football club Nottingham Forest, said: “FIFA hereby reserves all its rights to take any action against all those who have been involved in any way, directly or indirectly, in the establishment as well as any other activities of the interim committee.” It added that the action could include “claims for the consequences of any damages resulting from your illegal acts”. The IOC sent a similar warning at the start of November.
The IOC and FIFA protested after police were used to forcibly take over the headquarters of the Kuwait Olympic Committee and the KFA. “FIFA will not accept any of its members to establish contact or sporting relations with the government-appointed officials,” the FIFA secretary general said in the latest letter.