BRISTOL, Tennessee, Aug 17, (AP): Kyle Busch overcame a pit-road speeding penalty to win the Camping World Truck Series race Wednesday night at Bristol Motor Speedway for his 178th victory in NASCAR’s top three series.
After starting from the pole and winning the first two stages on the 0.533-mile oval, Busch started the final stage in 17th after the penalty dropped him to the back of the lead lap. He flew through the field on the high side in his Kyle Busch Motorsports Toyota, regaining the lead about halfway through the 90-lap stage in the race that started about two hours late because of rain.
“I knew once we got that penalty that I had to go somewhere other than where everyone else was,” Busch said about charging to front on the outside. “It took about 15 laps for it to come in and then it started going fast.”
Busch then easily held off Matt Crafton in a green-white-checker finish for his third Truck victory of the season and 49th overall. Busch also has 39 Cup victories and 90 Xfinity wins. He raced to his fifth Truck victory at the track and 18th overall Bristol win.
Crafton was second in another Toyota.
“We have nothing to hang our head about,” Crafton said.
John Hunter Nemechek was third in a Chevrolet, followed by Grant Enfinger, Ben Rhodes, Johnny Sauter, points leader Christopher Bell, Park Kligerman, Austin Cindric and Brandon Jones.
(Starting position in parentheses)
- (1) Kyle Busch, Toyota, 203.
- (6) Matt Crafton, Toyota, 203.
- (14) John H. Nemechek, Chevrolet, 203.
- (7) Grant Enfinger, Toyota, 203.
- (9) Ben Rhodes, Toyota, 203.
- (3) Johnny Sauter, Chevrolet, 203.
- (2) Christopher Bell, Toyota, 203.
- (16) Parker Kligerman, Toyota, 203.
- (18) Austin Cindric, Ford, 203.
- (5) Brandon Jones, Chevrolet, 203.
- (12) Justin Haley, Chevrolet, 203.
- (15) Chase Briscoe, Ford, 203.
- (10) Jesse Little, Toyota, 202.
- (19) Regan Smith, Ford, 202.
- (4) Noah Gragson, Toyota, 202.
- (17) Ryan Truex, Toyota, 202.
- (8) Cody Coughlin, Toyota, 202.
- (13) Harrison Burton, Toyota, 202.
- (25) JJ Yeley, Chevrolet, 202.
- (21) Landon Huffman, Chevrolet, 201.
- (26) TJ Bell, Chevrolet, 200.
- (22) Austin Hill, Ford, 199.
- (28) Wendell Chavous, Chevrolet, 196.
- (27) Austin Wayne Self, Chevrolet, Parked, 194.
- (29) Josh Reaume, Chevrolet, 186.
- (23) Clay Greenfield, Chevrolet, 183.
- (32) Jordan Anderson, Chevrolet, Engine, 136.
- (11) Kaz Grala, Chevrolet, Engine, 113.
- (20) Stewart Friesen, Chevrolet, Overheating, 103.
- (30) Jennifer Jo Cobb, Chevrolet, Too Slow, 76.
- (31) Norm Benning, Chevrolet, Too Slow, 12.
- (24) Joe Nemechek, Chevrolet, Vibration, 3.
Average Speed of Race Winner: 88.829 mph.
Time of Race: 01 Hrs, 13 Mins, 05 Secs. Margin of Victory: 0.962 Seconds.
Caution Flags: 5 for 31 laps.
Lead Changes: 6 among 4 drivers.
Lap Leaders: K. Busch 1-61; A. Cindric 62-64; M. Crafton 65-104; K. Busch 105-115; B. Rhodes 116; M. Crafton 117-166; K. Busch 167-203.
Leaders Summary (Driver, Times Lead, Laps Led): K. Busch 3 times for 109 laps; M. Crafton 2 times for 90 laps; A. Cindric 1 time for 3 laps; B. Rhodes 1 time for 1 lap.