KUWAIT CITY, Nov 30, (Agencies): His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah sent Saturday a cable of condolences to Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister Boris Johnson on the London Bridge stabbing.
In the cable, His Highness the Amir expressed to the Queen and the Prime Minister his deepest sorrow over the incident, which claimed two lives and resulted in several injuries.
His Highness Sheikh Sabah strongly condemned the attack against innocent civilians, displaying support to all British efforts to protect citizens as well as maintaining stability and security in the UK.
His Highness the Amir also expressed solidarity with the British leadership and people against such heinous acts and wished for the swift recovery of those wounded in the incident.
His Highness the Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah sent similar cables to Queen Elizabeth and Prime Minister Johnson. Kuwait’s Foreign Ministry also strongly denounced the deadly stabbing attack.
Reaffirming Kuwait’s principled stand against all forms of violence and terrorism, an official of the Ministry stated support to whatever measures the United Kingdom might take to protect its security.
The source expressed sincere condolences to the families of the victims and wished the wounded a quick recovery. The 28-year-old British man who killed two people in a stabbing spree on London Bridge before police shot him dead had been released from prison after a previous conviction for terrorism offences, prompting political recriminations ahead of an election.
Wearing a fake suicide vest and wielding knives, Usman Khan went on the rampage on Friday afternoon at a conference on criminal rehabilitation beside London Bridge.
He was wrestled to the ground by bystanders and then shot dead by police. Prime Minister Johnson, who faces a snap election on Dec 12, said it was a terrorist attack and vowed to end a practice whereby serious offenders can be automatically let out of prison early, as the opposition attacked the policy.
Khan, whose family is from Pakistan-controlled Kashmir, was convicted in 2012 for his part in an al-Qaeda-inspired plot to blow up the London Stock Exchange.
He was released in December 2018 subject to conditions. “This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences,” Britain’s top counterterrorism police officer, Neil Basu, said in a statement. “Clearly, a key line of inquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack.”
Two people – a man and a woman – were killed in the attack, which took place days before London is due to host NATO leaders including US President Donald Trump. A man and two women were injured and remain in hospital, Basu said.
Police searched an address in Stafford, central England, as they continued their investigation. The opposition Labour Party criticised the government’s record on crime. “There are big questions that need to be answered,” London Mayor Sadiq Khan, the most senior opposition politician in Britain in a position of power, told Sky News. “One of the important tools judges had when it came to dealing with dangerous, convicted criminals … was their ability to give an indeterminate sentence to protect the public,” he said.
“(That) was taken away from them by this government.” During the 2017 election campaign, London Bridge was the scene of an attack when three militants drove a van into pedestrians and then attacked people in the surrounding area, killing eight people and injuring at least 48.