RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
KUWAIT FAULTS INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY FOR GAZA SLAUGHTER Calls for war crimes trial against Israel

 THE HAGUE, Aug 5, (Agencies): Palestinian Foreign Minister Riyad al- Malki on Tuesday said he was optimistic the latest ceasefire in Gaza will hold, even as Palestinians renewed efforts to haul Israelis before the International Criminal Court for war crimes. A 72-hour truce took hold in the shattered enclave earlier on Tuesday after a Cairo-brokered deal was accepted by both Hamas and Israel, ending 29 days of heavy fighting which has claimed more than 1,800 lives. “We expect the ceasefire to expand into another 72 hours and beyond,” Malki told reporters at a press conference in The Hague, where he earlier met the ICC’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda. “We have heard that Israel has really committed itself to withdrawing... but it really depends on Israel and the seriousness of the Israeli side,” Malki said.

Malki’s meeting with Bensouda was to discuss the latest steps needed for Palestine to sign up to the court’s founding treaty, the Rome Statute. The Palestinians in 2009 asked the ICC’s prosecutor’s office to investigate alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by the Israeli military in Gaza in 2008-2009. But so far there has been no probe as Palestine is not an ICC member state and its status as a country is uncertain in some international institutions. Palestine however in late Nov 2012 obtained non-member observer status at the United Nations, opening the door for an ICC investigation.

The Palestinian leadership has since been under intense pressure from various countries including the US, Britain and France to desist from signing up for an ICC probe. But Malki said the latest deadly confrontation between Israel and militants from the Islamist movement Hamas has forced the Palestinians to revisit the issue of ICC membership. If Palestine is signed up, the ICC’s prosecutor could have the jurisdiction to launch a preliminary investigation into atrocities committed in Gaza, Malki said. “Israel has left us with no other option than to take this approach,” he said, referring to “atrocities” committed in Gaza. “We must do everything in our power to bring to justice those responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity,” he said. The move however still has to be approved by all sides of the Palestinian leadership including the powerful Hamas which rules Gaza. Asked whether Palestinians could also be held accountable for war crimes and crimes against humanity should the court investigate, Malki said the Palestinian leadership was ready to accept the court’s findings. “If we ask for an investigation, we are also ready to accept the consequences,” he said. ICC prosecutor Bensouda’s office said in a short statement the court did not have jurisdiction over alleged crimes as Palestine has not signed up to the ICC’s Rome Statute. Neither has it received any “official document from Palestine indicating the acceptance of ICC jurisdiction or requesting the prosecutor to open an investigation into alleged crimes following the Nov 2012 UN General Assembly resolution,” the statement added. The meeting came at the Palestinians’ request and was “for the foreign minister to seek clarification on the different mechanisms for a state to accept the jurisdiction of the ICC,” Bensouda’s office said.

Responsible
Meanwhile, Acting Undersecretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Chairman of Asia department Ambassador Mohammad Al-Roumi reaffirmed on Monday Kuwait’s condemnation of the Israeli aggression and massacres against the Palestinian people in Gaza. Al-Roumi delivered the country’s statement at a meeting of the Non- Aligned Movement (NAM) committee on Palestine held in Tehran in the presence of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani and Foreign Minister Mohamed Javad Zarif. He held the international community responsible for “the daily massacres against the unarmed (Palestinian) population, among them children and women,” calling for urgent interference to stop the aggression. He also shed light on Kuwait’s efforts to help the Palestinian people, as the head of the current session of the Arab Summit and the head of the sub-committee of the Arab League foreign ministers meeting held in Cairo last month. “Kuwait has reached out to the UN Secretary General and the UNSC head and member states, in addition to all the relevant organisations and bodies to stop the Israeli aggression, guaranteeing no recurrence,” he said. The ministerial emergency meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) on Monday called on the International Criminal Court (ICC) to bring the Israeli officials to justice for the war crimes in Gaza. In the final statement of the NAM Committee on Palestine meeting, the movement’s FMs expressed indignation at the bloodbath in Gaza and urged the UNSC to stop the Israeli crimes against humanity. They requested the international community, the UN and other international organizations and NGOs, to help provide the victims of the Israeli aggression in the Gaza Strip with humanitarian assistance on an urgent basis, according to the statement carried by Iranian media.

Read By: 1696
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us