RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
Brazil 2014 best on field WCup: Valcke Suarez given credit

BRASILIA, July 2, (Agencies): Brazil 2014 may have had organisational glitches, but it is shaping up to be the best on-field World Cup thanks to the exciting soccer being played, FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said on Tuesday. “I think it is the best World Cup in terms of the soccer,” Valcke said in an interview with Globo television’s SporTV cable channel. “It’s the World Cup with the most number of goals since 1982.” Even before the 32-nation tournament enters the quarter-final phase this week, more goals have been scored than at the previous World Cup in South Africa in 2010.

Valcke, who complained in 2012 that Brazil needed a “kick up the backside” to speed up preparations of the stadiums, said the World Cup in Brazil has exceeded FIFA’s expectations. “We had some small problems off the soccer fields, nothing major. We saw some things that were unfinished, but in the final analysis expectations were surpassed,” he said. Valcke did not say whether FIFA has joined a match-fixing investigation instigated by the Cameroon federation after it said on Monday it would look at claims of corruption in their Group A games, especially the 4-0 defeat by Croatia.

Instead, he said the world governing body was concerned with illegal betting in soccer at all levels.
“This exists and it is something we will not be able to eliminate 100 percent,” he added. “What we can do is control legal betting, but it is very difficult to fight what is done under the carpet.” Organisers had been concerned anti-World Cup demonstrations by Brazilians angered at the cost of hosting the event would disrupt the games though they have proven unfounded. Some incidents have worried organisers, such as Chilean fans storming into Rio’s Maracana without tickets, while there were clashes between Argentina and Brazil fans in Belo Horizonte. Valcke said security has been reinforced, particularly with a view to a possible final between the two South American rivals.

One further pleasing aspect, Valcke said, was the record audiences the games have generated in the United States, even though Juergen Klinsmann’s team were knocked out in the second round by Belgium on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Valcke has given disgraced Uruguayan star Luis Suarez credit for apologising over the biting incident that saw him expelled from the World Cup. Valcke, though, pointed out in an interview with Brazilian television station SportTV that Suarez’ apology had not gone as far as accepting he had deliberately bitten Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini in a group game on June 24.

“It is good he has apologised,” said the Frenchman. “He does not, however, accept that it was intentional, he says it was an accident.” Valcke, who commented after the incident he felt Suarez should seek professional help as it was the third time he had been found guilty of biting an opponent, said he could not comment on how the apology could affect Suarez’ appeal. FIFA handed down a record nine international game suspension, a four month global ban from footballl and a six figure fine for the player. “He has appealed, there is an ongoing legal process and if he is not happy with the outcome his final resort could be to take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).”

Read By: 1617
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us