Add News     Print  
Article List
Students Visa

I am an Indian and my son is studying in the United States of America. He is still on my sponsorship. I need a few clarifications on the following:

1. He was born in Kuwait on Nov 5, 1994. Until which year or specific date, can I remain his sponsor without any paperwork from the USA University?

2. What kind of paper work from the university will be required to extend his residence after this date?

3. This year, his residence will expire on Dec 20, 2014. His fall exams will finish on Dec 21, 2014. He cannot enter Kuwait before Dec 21, 2014. He will be visiting us in May 2014.

Is there any way to extend his visa during May 2014 so that he can enter after Dec 20, 2014?

He will be in Kuwait from May 11 to May 27, 2014.

I appreciate if you could answer the queries ASAP.

Name withheld

Answer: First of all, you can only sponsor your son as a dependent until he reaches the age of 21 years. After that you can’t, regardless of the fact that you have some papers from the US university or not. In your son’s case this will be until Nov 5, 2015, the 21st birthday of your son.

After this age the sons can’t be sponsored although sometimes the Ministry of Interior - through the Immigration Department - allows this for a very limited period on “compassionate grounds”.

Secondly, the Immigration Department mostly allows an extension of the residence a maximum of three months in advance but there is no hard and fast rule that it can’t be done before that on “compassionate grounds”. But he has to be present in Kuwait at the time of application of the extension to his residence.

So, the best thing would be to apply for the extension on his coming visit. If the immigration officials at the counter refuse to extend the residence you can always approach the senior officials at the department

Read By: 6870
Comments: 0

You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us