Add News     Print  
Article List
The Filipina housemaid, victim of violent rape, relates her ordeal to embassy officials.
‘Finally justice is served, I have prayed hard for this day’ Rapist cop sentenced to death

KUWAIT CITY, June 5: The Kuwait Criminal Court has sentenced to death by hanging a lance corporal at the General Traffic Department for raping a Filipina and attempting to kill her by stabbing her in the neck several times and dumped her almost dead in the desert on Sept 30, 2012. “Finally, justice is served.

I have prayed so hard for this day to come. Words are not enough to express my happiness. I have suffered so much.

I was left almost dead but thank God, I have survived the ordeal and waited for this day,” stated Marissa, not her real name, 29, a native of T’Boli, South Cotabato in Southern Philippines.

Marissa was deployed to Kuwait on September 12, 2006 to work as a Household Service Worker for three years and later on at a dress shop in Farwaniya. Based on her account, in late evening of September 30, she and her female friend came out from a mall along the sixth ring road.

They were inside a cab on their way home to Farwaniya when they were stopped by the suspect who alighted from the police car.

Unfortunately, her residence visa just expired four days ago and it’s still being renewed by her new sponsor.

The suspect let her friend go as she had a valid visa while she was taken by the suspect to the police car.

The suspect instead of taking her to the police station, drove her to a dark deserted place in South Surra where he allegedly raped her inside the police patrol car and stabbed her with a Swiss knife on the neck and back. She was left bleeding and almost dead along the road.

Marissa was confined at the Intensive Care Unit for two days at the Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital. She had to wear a thoracic-lumbar brace on her back for about six months and had difficulty in walking.

She stayed temporarily at the Filipino Workers Resource Centre (FWRC) while her case was being heard. Marissa along with her friend and the taxi driver positively identified the suspect from the police line-up leading to his arrest.

According to the case records, the accused pretended to be psychologically unstable, however, the Kuwait Psychiatric hospital proved otherwise. “I would like to thank God for giving me the strength to fight for my case and my sincerest gratitude to the Philippine Embassy, POLOOWWA, to Sheikha Fawzia Al- Sabah who volunteered to be my legal counsel for free at the start of the case and to Consul General Raul Dado and the embassy lawyer Atty. Arab and all those who helped me in my case,” cried Marissa, a single mom who had to leave the Philippines to work here to support her son and family.

She vowed to fight for her case even if the suspect appeals the court’s verdict before the Court of Appeals. “I will never give up and will not go for any settlement, I have gone this far to fight for my dignity and no one can stop me till justice is served,” she stressed.

With the court’s death verdict, Marissa urged all women who were raped and whose rights were violated to continue fighting for their rights. “It’s not easy but my faith in God has kept me strong since the day I was left almost dead in the desert.

Faith and the power of prayer have kept me going all this time,” she shared.

Meanwhile, the Philippine Embassy is set to issue an official statement on the verdict pending the receipt of the official documents on the verdict from the court.

By: Michelle Fe Santiago Arab Times Staff

Read By: 8964
Comments: 0

You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us