RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
Don’t litter beaches, fishermen cautioned
Some MPs call to ‘end’ issue of bachelors staying in family areas 7,200 landline cables damaged in Shuwaikh: MoC

KUWAIT CITY, May 1: While the Minister of Communications, State Minister for Municipal Affairs Essa Al-Kandari is naming the obstacles against application of Law 125/1992, which bars bachelors from residing in specific residential areas, some lawmakers have asked for an end to the issue of bachelors residing in densely populated family areas, due to security risks involved, besides the social and national consequences, reports Al-Rai daily. The minister said the difficulty in obtaining warrant from Public Prosecution to raid illegal bachelor accommodations and completing data registered in the file of violations related to real estates sold to more than one buyer are among the hurdles against implementation of law.

Meanwhile, MP Abdullah Al- Turaiji is surprised that the concerned authority is unable to end the issue of accommodating bachelors in residential areas despite its adverse implications on security and social and national affairs. He noted severe lapses in services, in addition to traffic jam and the issue of bachelors, which government is not paying much attention to. He reiterated that several studies and decisions and recommendations have been made in vain to end the issue of bachelor accommodation in residential areas, due to bureaucracy.

For his part, MP Khalil Al-Saleh said the importance of applying law to solve the problem of bachelor accommodation inside residential areas, stressing the lifestyle of the bachelors defy traditions and norms of the Kuwaiti society.

Damaged In another development, some 7,200 landline cables were damaged inadvertently by roadworks in the area of Shuwaikh, Ministry of Communications Undersecretary Hamid Al-Qattan said on Wednesday.

The ministry is conducting around-the-clock maintenance in order to bring the landlines back in operation, with its representatives currently at the site, the official told KUNA in a statement. Landline failures were reported to the ministry by residents of the area, and after investigations into the incident, it was revealed that the cause was due to damage inflicted on cables by a contractor employed by the Ministry of Public Works, he explained.

The Ministry of Communications will be taking necessary action against the contractor and the Ministry of Public Works, added Al-Qattan. Meanwhile, Undersecretary at the Ministry of Electricity and Water (MEW) Engineer Ahmad Al-Jassar disclosed that the sector has embarked on several projects to generate electrophoretic energy as part of the initiative to produce solar energy, reports Al-Jarida daily.

In a press statement, Al-Jassar explained that the ministry last November installed equipment for the production of electrophoretic energy in Kuwait Towers with capacity of 117 kilowatts, adding the ministry has undertaken a project to convert solar energy to electricity with capacity of nearly 1000 kilowatts in coordination with the technical board at the headquarters of MEW and Ministry of Education. Also, the ministry is implementing another solar project at Al- Abdali power station, in addition to the project in Al-Shaqaya station under implementation by the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR) and MEW.

Meanwhile, the power was cut off at Kuwait International Airport for five minutes on Monday to conduct regular test in coordination with MEW. Acting Deputy Director of Affairs in the airport Essam Al- Zamil said navigation was not affected by the brief power cut carried out in collaboration with MEW and the Directorate-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), adding the ministry had earlier submitted an official letter to the sector to disconnect electricity to make changes at station “M”.

Read By: 7065
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us