RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
Interior vows to protect all

 KUWAIT CITY, April 27: Deputy Prime Minister, the Interior Minister Sheikh Mohammad Al-Khaled Al- Sabah said the ministry has taken proactive measures on the recent unprecedented armed robbery incident in which masked men killed two Asian workers of a money transport firm at the Vegetable Market in Kabad. An Interior Ministry press release stated the Assistant Undersecretary for Operations Major General Abdullah Al-Muhanna and the Director General of Central Operations Department Major General Jamal Al-Sayegh held a meeting with officials of the private security firm on ways of activating monitoring and support roles of the security agencies through combined efforts.

The officials deliberated on the need to enhance capability of the security agents by training and equipping private securities, and providing tight security for bullion vans that transport money and other precious items. The officials also considered the acquisition of advanced technology to detect, monitor and follow-up procedures, indicating the ministry agreed on the scientific and practical recommendations presented by the security company.

Meanwhile, the remains of the two Indian security guards, Rashid Jamalluali Thangal and Tharangadharan, have been flown to Karipur Airport, Calicut, Monday. Indian community organization, KMCC, was actively involved in completing the formalities for the release of their remains from the Farwaniya Mortuary and dispatching them home. Social worker and a volunteer with KMCC, Nasir Khan, said the remains of Rashid Jamal, was sent to the Sulabikhat graveyard for the last rites, while that of Tharangadharan was sent to Sabah Hospital before being taken to the airport for the flight home.

The incident has shocked Kuwait and has grabbed headlines in regional newspapers in Kerala. Armed robberies of this nature are rare in Kuwait. The incident took place near Sulaibiya Vegetable Market when the victims, both employees of Al Mulla Security Company, were carrying money to the security van from a local supermarket to be deposited in the bank. The gunmen made off with KD 13,000, leaving the victims in a pool of blood, according to media reports.

A Sri Lankan driver of the security van escaped unhurt as he was inside the van at the time of the incident. Tharangadharan who took bullets pumped from AK47 rifles in the chest and died on the spot while Rashid died in Farwaniya Hospital.

Nasir Khan was in touch with the families of the victims in India. He said Rashid’s two brothers had lost their lives in an accident in Kuwait last year. This was the third tragic death in the family. “Rashid’s father, Sayed Mahdi, has accepted the news as divine will and is strong. Rashid was 25 and was going to leave home for vacation the next day.” “Tharangadharan’s wife has not been informed about the incident yet. His daughter, who lives in Bombay with her husband, knows about it and is headed to Calicut to receive the remains of her father.” Tharangadharan is survived by his wife, Sunida, and daughters Shweta and Neeta. “ The Indian Embassy said it is in touch with the Interior Ministry to follow up with the case and request the authorities to speed up the investigation process to bring the culprits to justice at the earliest.


By: Valiya S. Sajjad Arab Times Staff and Agencies

Read By: 3389
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us