RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
1,000 killed in Boko Haram conflict this year One in 5 not living in own homes

LAGOS, March 29, (AFP): More than 1,000 people have been killed so far this year in three states in northeastern Nigeria worst hit by Boko Haram violence, according to the country’s main relief organisation. The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) figures are the starkest indication yet of the increase in bloodshed in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe that have caused growing concern. NEMA said in a presentation in Abuja on Tuesday that people living in the states were “caught up in an intensifying conflict”, which has been raging since 2009. “The human toll: more than 1,000 people dead and 249,446 displaced between January to March 2014 ...

One in five of the total population are not living in their own homes,” it added. Violence has increased in northeastern Nigeria since the new year, including a high-profile attack on a boarding school in Yobe, which saw dozens of students slaughtered in their beds. A state of emergency imposed in the three states in May last year has largely forced the militants out of urban centres but villagers in remote, rural areas have borne the brunt of continued attacks blamed on the Islamist extremists. NEMA said that some 3.2 million people — nearly a third of the overall population in the three states — were affected by the crisis, most of them women, children and older people. A total of 244,000 were living with friends or relatives and just over 5,000 were in camps. “Immediate assistance” was required for 1.5 million people while there needed to be an “urgent and significant scale-up” of humanitarian assistance, especially of food, water and healthcare

Read By: 1869
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us