RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
Video casts doubt over attack on veiled woman Dozens of cameras examined, hundreds questioned

ISTANBUL, Feb 14, (AFP): Newly released video footage has thrown doubt on claims by a headscarf-wearing mother that she was attacked by a group of protesters in Istanbul during last year’s mass anti-government protests.

Zehra Develioglu alleges that around 100 half-naked men with leather gloves attacked her while she was waiting with her baby for her husband near Kabatas tram station — a claim widely trumpeted by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Develioglu, 25, also claims she was a victim of sexual assault and said some protesters had peed on her on Jan 1, at the height of the unrest. But in the footage released by the Dogan news agency on Thursday, there is no sign of an attack while she is seen waiting with her baby and later meeting with her husband. Dogan also said that police had examined at least 73 security cameras and questioned hundreds of people near the site of the alleged attack but found no evidence of assault on a woman that day. At the time, Erdogan frequently repeated the claim and said: “They attacked my headscarf wearing sister in Kabatas”.

Read By: 1471
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us