RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
Nigerian army wants 500 suspects tried for terrorism Military vows tighter security for Xmas

ABUJA, Dec 5, (Agencies): Nigeria’s army said on Wednesday it had identified more than 500 suspected Islamist militants — including members of the security forces who had supported the insurgents — and called for them to be tried on terrorism charges. The army said the suspects were detained during a crackdown in the northeast, where soldiers are trying to end a 4- 1/2 year insurgency by Islamist sect Boko Haram. “Among those recommended for trial are a medical doctor, paramilitary or service personnel who were fighting on the side of the terrorists and other individuals who offered direct logistics support to the terrorists,” Defence Headquarters spokesman Chris Olukolade said.

They also included “high profile suspects some of whom were training other terrorists in weapon handling as well as those who confessed to being trained in Mali and other countries,” he added. Suspected members of Boko Haram stormed the air force base and several other military locations in an apparently coordinated attack in the northeast town of Maiduguri on Monday, underlining the sect’s continued threat to security in Africa’s top oil producer. The military set up an investigation team to screen a total of 1,400 people detained during the operation in the northeast. On Wednesday, it said it was still reviewing more than 600 cases and had advised the authorities to release some of the detainees. The attorney general was now looking into its recommendations to prosecute the rest, it added.

The recommendations for the suspects to face trial come after sustained calls from Western governments in recent months for Nigerian authorities to follow the rule of law in their fight against Boko Haram and other militants. Rights groups have accused security forces of arbitrary detentions, torture and extrajudicial killings — allegations dismissed by the army and the government. Nigeria pledged to secure communities near its northern and eastern borders with Chad, Niger and Cameroon over Christmas and New Year due to fears about Boko Haram strikes. The banned Islamist group has previously launched deadly attacks on and around the Christian festival. A wave of attacks against churches and police on Dec 25, 2011, left 49 people dead.

Read By: 1696
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us