RSS
 Add News     Print  
Article List
Daniel Craig in a scene from the film ‘Skyfall’. The super spy might be 50 years old on screen but he never wants to look out of date.
‘Sunshine’ writer to pen ‘Star Wars’ Bana in talks for ‘Beware the Night’

LOS ANGELES, Nov 12, (Agencies):  Michael Arndt, who won an Academy Award for “Little Miss Sunshine,” has been hired to write the screenplay for “Star Wars: Episode VII,” Lucasfilm announced on its Star Wars website.
The news follows reports the “Toy Story 3” scribe was the leading contender for the job and had turned in a 50-page treatment for the seventh installment in the epic franchise.
The film is slated to be released in 2015 and will launch a new trilogy under Disney, which acquired Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion on Oct 30.
“Star Wars” films have earned a total of $4.4 billion at the box office worldwide.
George Lucas is serving as a creative consultant on the films, with Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairwoman of Lucasfilm, executive producing.
Arndt won the Oscar for best original screenplay in 2006 for “Little Miss Sunshine” and was nominated for best adapted screenplay for writing “Toy Story 3” (2010). He is a co-writer with Simon Beaufoy on “Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” which is scheduled for released in 2013.

Eric Bana is in talks to star in “Beware the Night,” a paranormal police thriller to be directed by Scott Derrickson, a person familiar with the negotiations has told TheWrap.
The story follows a New York police officer investigating real life demon possessions, exorcisms and werewolves.
The project is in the process of making its way to ScreenGems, pending a rights deal.
Mark Wahlberg was previously under consideration for the role than Bana is now considering.
Derrickson (“The Exorcism of Emily Rose”) is directing from a script that he co-wrote with Paul Boardman.
Derrickson’s previous credits include “The Day The Earth Stood Still,” with Keanu Reeves.
Derrickson also co-wrote and directed “Sinister,” starring Ethan Hawke, which was released by Summit in October.
Bana could most recently be seen in the films “Deadfall” and “The Time Traveler’s Wife.” His other upcoming films include “Elvis & Nixon,” “By Virtue Fall” and “Closed Circuit.”

Anne Hathaway credits her new husband Adam Schulman for helping her get through the grueling filming of the screen adaptation of “Les Miserables.”
In “Les Mis,” the 30-year-old actress plays Fantine, a struggling, sickly mother forced into prostitution in 1800s Paris.
Hathaway lost 25 pounds (11 kilograms) and cut her hair for the role. She tells the December issue of Vogue that the part left her in a “state of deprivation, physical and emotional.” She felt easily overwhelmed and says Shulman was understanding and supportive.
The couple wed in September in Big Sur, California. Hathaway wore a custom gown by Valentino whom she collaborated with on the design. Working with the designer is a memory she says she will “treasure forever.”

Fans of the “Little Rascals” film series were in Baltimore this weekend to place a headstone at the grave of child actor Norman “Chubby” Chaney.
Chaney’s grave had been unmarked for 76 years since he died at age 21. Chaney was paid a weekly salary when he appeared in the films between 1929 and 1931. But he didn’t receive any royalties or residual payments and returned to Baltimore when he grew out of the role. The Baltimore Sun reported Sunday that he struggled with his weight as a teenager. When he died, his mother couldn’t afford a headstone for his grave.
The series was known as “Our Gang” when it was shown in theaters and later as the “Little Rascals” on television.

China’s film industry has been “shaken” after the country’s cinemas were opened up to show more foreign productions, a government official said Sunday on the sidelines of a pivotal party congress.
China, which is set to become the world’s second-largest movie market this year, agreed in February to lift its quota of foreign movies per year from 20 to 34 in a move long sought by Hollywood.
“This has brought handsome profits to the American film industry but has also posed pressure and challenge to the Chinese film industry,” vice minister Tian Jin said at a press conference on the sidelines of the Communist Party’s 18th congress in Beijing.
“Domestic films are facing great pressure,” said Tian, who is the party member responsible for radio, film and television.
“The objective reason is that more foreign films in the Chinese market have dealt a blow to domestic films, and the subjective reason is that the domestic film industry needs to be more competitive,” he said.
He urged domestic filmmakers to “enhance creativity”.
Scores of cinemas are being built across China to cater to growing demand which has seen box office takings of more than 13 billion yuan ($2.1 billion) this year until the end of last month — up 40 percent from the same period last year, Tian said.
But the domestic industry’s takings were just 40 percent of that total, which was “much lower than last year”, he added, without elaborating.
Tian denied that Beijing had imposed restrictions on the scheduling of foreign films in China.
“The release schedule of films is purely a market act,” he said, responding to a question about a ‘month-long restriction’ on foreign films.
“The government will never impose a schedule to any film or release.”
China has shown foreign films for many years, but agreed to open its cinemas to more overseas productions in February following a visit to the US by Vice President Xi Jinping last year.
The move was also forced upon China by the World Trade Organisation, although a 2009 ruling against Chinese limits on the import of films, DVDs, music and books initially brought little change.
China also imposes strict rules over what films are allowed to be seen by the public, banning what it considers any negative portrayal of contemporary politics or issues it says might lead to social unrest.
 

Read By: 1472
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us