India moves close to IOC suspension Sullivan set to face court

NEW DELHI, Nov 28, (Agencies): The Indian Olympic Association was warned again on Wednesday that it faces imminent suspension by the IOC because of government interference in its elections.
The International Olympic Committee reiterated in a letter that the Indian body faces sanctions unless it resolves the issues surrounding next Wednesday’s elections. The letter called on IOA officials to explain their position by Friday.
The IOC has been urging the Indians to adhere to their own constitution and the Olympic Charter and not follow a contentious government sports code.
“The IOC and OCA (Olympic Council of Asia) will not send delegates to India at this stage,” the IOC said in the letter, which was distributed to the media. “From your letter of Nov 26, we came to the conclusion that the IOA and the government authorities are unable to rectify the situation in order for the IOA elections to be conducted in line with the Olympic Charter and the IOA Constitution, as required by the IOC.”


The letter said India’s proposed suspension would come up before the IOC executive board at its meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, next Wednesday and Thursday. The letter was sent by IOC director general Christophe de Kepper to IOA acting chief Vijay Kumar Malhotra
Suspension would mean a halt to IOC funding and a ban on Indian officials from attending Olympic meetings and events. India’s athletes would also be barred from competing in the Olympics under their national flag, although the IOC could allow them to take part under the Olympic flag.
The Indian body has been mired in wrangling over the elections to replace tainted official Suresh Kalmadi, who was jailed for nine months on corruption charges related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi before being granted bail.


Kalmadi, who headed the IOA for 16 years, decided not to seek re-election but his close aide Lalit Bhanot is running for secretary-general, even though he was also jailed last year for corruption related to the Commonwealth Games.
Meanwhile, Australian Olympic swimmer Eamon Sullivan is set to face court over an incident in which a pensioner’s motorised scooter was allegedly taken for a joyride, reports said Wednesday.
No charges have been laid against the 27-year-old former 100m freestyle world record-holder over the incident, which occurred in mid-October in Adelaide where Sullivan was to attend a friend’s wedding.
Reports said two men allegedly borrowed the scooter after one asked the owner whether he could take it “for a spin” and shortly afterwards crashed it into a table outside the pub, injuring two people.
South Australian Police said a 27-year-old man from Western Australia was reported for disorderly behaviour and two counts of assault following the incident.


They said the man was expected to receive a summons to attend South Australia’s Elizabeth Magistrates Court at a later date.
Sullivan’s management said the swimmer had been in Adelaide for a wedding.
“Whilst it is apparent that an accident occurred there is no evidence that Eamon was the party responsible for any such accident,” Elite Sports Properties said in a statement.
“We are able to confirm that there are no police charges which have resulted from this accident.”
Earlier this month, Australian swimming officials announced an independent review of the sport’s culture at elite level after rumours of pranks and initiation rituals at the Olympics in London.
 

Read By: 2173
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
 Existing Member Login      
Username
(Your Email Address)
Password
 
 
   Not a member yet ?
   Forgot Password ?

About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us