Activists plan ‘street demo’

KUWAIT CITY, Oct 25: Political and youth activists Thursday disclosed on Twitter accounts they will organize another street demonstrations Sunday, Nov 4, 2012 but did not give details. However, they said the demonstration will be organized under the banner ‘Dignity of the Country 2’ the details of which are expected to be given at a later date.

 The first street demonstrations was entitled ‘Dignity of the Country’ and was attended by former opposition MPs, politicians and youth activists.

According to opposition estimate more than 100,000 people took part in the demo, but the government put the figure at ‘not more than 3,000’.

The first demonstration was marred with clashes with the securitymen detaining several demonstrators. Several people taking part in the demonstrations were also injured when securitymen fired tear gas canisters and rubber bullets to disperse the crowd.

The head of Al-Awazem tribe Falah Bin Jamei said the reason why he called on his tribe to boycott the upcoming election was “because the Al-Awazem Tribe boasts of about 20 percent of the total number of voters — about 200,000 people and one vote per eligible voter will harm and will not give Al-Awazem a true representation.

 Bin Jamei also warned the government saying there might be more demonstrations in future because of the harsh treatment meted out by the security authority against the Al-Awazem MPs Falah Al-Sawagh and Bader Al-Dahoum and their colleague Khaled Al-Tahous who had their heads shaved and handcuffed during their three day-detention at the Central Prison.

It can be recalled last week the three MPs were summoned and detained by the Public Prosecution for criticizing HH the Amir during an opposition seminar which was held at the Diwaniya of former MP Salem Al-Namlan.

Bin Jamei stressed Al-Sawagh and Al-Dahoum will remain with the opposition. They were accused for expressing their opinion.

He described the incident as pouring fuel over fire. He added, “We are waiting for an apology from the government. We cannot remain silent in the face of what has happened. He also asked why members of his tribe should be released each on KD 5,000 bail while others were released on KD 1,000 bail?”
In another development, the Ministry of Interior has added the name of former MP Musallam Al-Barrak to the list of persons banned from travel.

This came after the Public Prosecution issued an arrest warrant against him on charges of criticizing the Amir during an opposition rally at the Erada Square last week.

A source reliable said Al-Barrak was informed about the warrant but he refused to turn himself over to the authority unlike his colleagues who were issued similar warrants.


By: Abubakar A. Ibrahim Arab Times Staff

Read By: 6821
Comments: 0
Rated:

Comments
You must login to add comments ...
 Existing Member Login      
Username
(Your Email Address)
Password
 
 
   Not a member yet ?
   Forgot Password ?

About Us   |   RSS   |   Contact Us   |   Feedback   |   Advertise With Us